Daulatabad also known as Devagiri is a town which includes the Devagiri-Daulatabad fort. It carries the distinction of remaining undefeated in battle. It is a 14th-century fort city in Maharashtrastate of India, about 16 kilometers northwest of Aurangabad. The place was originally namedDevagiriwhen it was an important uplands city along caravan routes (ca. sixth century AD), but the intervening centuries have reduced it to a village. However it is also considered to be one of the seven wonders of Maharashtra and a developing tourist spot.
Starting 1327, it famously remained the capital ofTughlaq dynasty, underMuhammad bin Tughluq(1325-1351), who also changed its name, and forcibily moved the entire population ofDelhifor two years before it was abandoned for lack of water and Tughluq was constantly known to shift the capital from Delhi to Devagiri and Devagiri to Delhi.
There is a belief that Devagiri was built in 1203 AD by aDhangaror herdsman who acquired vast wealth by his good fortune. He had a brother who was a shepherd named 'Raja Ram' and in correlation with it he assumed the rank of aRaja(King).